Health equity at work
Supporting your entire workforce with benefits
Offering healthcare benefits to your full-time hourly, part-time, and contingent employees is a critical step you can take to support health equity, and reward or attract the most qualified talent — especially in a time when the workforce dynamic is constantly changing.
While health benefits are most often associated as being reserved for full-time employees, many well-known companies are challenging this tradition. Amazon, Delta, REI, Starbucks, and Costco offer part-time positions with healthcare and additional benefits such as dental and vision coverage. These employers are recognizing the competitive edge of offering healthcare benefits as part of their recruitment packages.1
Offering affordable access to the healthcare system can also:
- Address social determinants of health. Health is defined by our environments, these include our neighborhoods, communities, places of worship, homes, schools, and workplaces. Social and physical factors explain why some Americans are healthier than others. Health is also determined by access to economic and social opportunities and the availability of resources. As an employer, you can help promote good health for all by giving employees access to healthcare.
- Increase productivity. Healthcare plans that offer preventive care and annual physicals and even outpatient and inpatient services, can help keep employees healthy and working. Without healthcare coverage, they may be absent from work for longer periods of time.
- Shape a positive culture. Healthcare benefits are seen as a significant perk and can help boost morale.
- Give you a competitive advantage. The tight labor market has employers looking to stand out in the job market. One effective way to do this is to offer healthcare benefits as an option.
- Support a stable workforce. Employees may be more likely to show loyalty to a company that offers valuable benefits.
According to Employee Benefit Adviser, employers can expect healthcare benefits to experience a transformational change in 2021 to what used to be a “standard benefit package” two decades ago. This suggests that employers will start looking for more flexible, cost-effective, and innovative healthcare plans that allow them to offer all employees basic health benefits.2
Anthem FlexHour Plans: an equitable healthcare solution
Employers have flexible benefit solutions available to make healthcare more accessible for full-time hourly, part-time, and contingent employees. Anthem FlexHour Plans, for example, were created in response to evolving workforce needs. These plans provide an affordable, flexible option for employees to give them peace of mind knowing they have healthcare coverage. This variable workforce can have access to medical, prescription, dental, vision, life, hospital indemnity, and short-term disability benefits with no financial risk to your company.
Anthem FlexHour Plans offer a competitive advantage in attracting talent, offering benefits tailored to each employee’s situation and budget. Since every employer is different, you can create a customized benefit package that works for your unique needs. Turnkey administration with minimal burden on your benefits administrative staff are also added advantages for the Anthem FlexHour Plans. Finally, Anthem FlexHour Plans can be offered at no cost and no risk to the employer, a real financial advantage.
This is just one solution you can implement to support health equity in your workplace while showing you care about your employees’ health and well-being.
Learn more about Anthem FlexHour Plans here.